The Mid-Essex Cancer Services User Group (MECSUG) is an independent, voluntary group of patients, carers and family members who liaise with health professionals at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford and the East of England Strategic Clinical Network to improve cancer services in Mid-Essex.
If you would like to get involved or share your comments or feedback on Mid-Essex Cancer Services please contact us.
What’s new ….
- Cancer Patient Survey: A new survey has been sent to Mid-Essex cancer patients diagnosed and treated between January and March 2016. 300 questionnaires were sent out and 145 have been returned..
- Here are the highlights, which were discussed at the meeting on 29th September 2016:
- CANCER PATIENT SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
No. of questionnaires sent out 300
Replies received 145
% response 48.3%
Rating of care received
Use of atrium Info Pod
Not aware of it 29.5%
Colchester 3% A number of textual comments were received, which are being analysed.
- Mesothelioma: MECSUG were contacted recently by an organisation called Mesothelioma Explained. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer affecting 2,000 – 3,000 patients a year which, although small in number relative to other cancerous diseases, is almost always fatal. We are pleased to have added a link to their website on our Useful Links page.
- National Institute for Health Research’s clinical trials database: This database has been replaced by a new system and public access search is now provided from the UK Clinical Trials Gateway website. Please follow the link on our Useful Links page to go to the new UK Clinical Trials Gateway website.
- Urgent referral system: If your GP is concerned that you may have cancer, a system is in place to ensure that you can get a specialist appointment within two weeks. Your understanding of this system will help to make sure that this happens. Click here to find out more from Cancer Research UK.
- Radiotherapy services survey: In June 2015 MECSUG carried out a patient survey on Accessing Radiotherapy Treatment at Colchester Hospitals University Foundation Trust (CHUFT). A detailed analysis of the results has been compiled and is available to download here.
Next meeting date
- The next MECSUG meeting is scheduled for Thursday 24 November– 10.00-11.30 at Broomfield Hospital Medical Academic Unit, Lecture Theatre 2. Contact us for details.